Quarterly Business Magazine

Pokka to Be Manufactured in Myanmar

Posted :
Thursday, February 12, 2015

Yangon – Pokka, a famous Japanese beverage company, will invest kyat 3 billion in producing and distributing its beverages in Myanmar.

The company will build a factory and is preparing to distribute its globally popular products in the domestic market, according to U Min Banyar San, director of Kaung Htet (Myanmar) Co., Ltd., the authorized manufacturing partner of Pokka. The two companies have signed a ten-year contract.

“We have signed the contract with the company [Pokka]. We will build the factory soon and distribute our products around December,” U Min Banyar San said.

The factory will be located on a 10-acre plot in Mingaladon Industrial Park and has received the permit from the Myanmar Investment Commission (MIC). Once completed, the factory can produce over 500,000 500ml bottles and 700,000 330ml bottles per day.

In order to gain the domestic market share, the company will sell its products at prices lower than those of the competitors. 75 percent of production will be dedicated to the domestic market, and the other 25 percent will be exported.

The company has undergone preliminary environmental assessment for the project and will submit the findings to the Environmental Conservation Department and the MIC, according to U Aye Thiha, Managing Director of E Guard Environment Service Co., Ltd., which is undertaking the environmental assessment for this project.

As of now, the factory has employed about two hundred employees. Once the operation kicks off after the factory is completed, additional three hundred employment opportunities will be created.

“We will provide our employees with wages on par with the international standards. The lowest salary will be about 150,000 kyats a month,” said U Min Banyar San.

Pokka is an internationally known beverage brand, and its headquarters are in Singapore and Malaysia.

Powered by Drupal